This post is sponsored by Eggland’s Best Eggs.
Usually, my husband and I both travel Monday to Thursday for work – welcome to a two-consultant household! My travel has been scaled back a bit recently with new clients that prefer to do work remotely. Talk about a huge relief when you’re 3 months pregnant and flight landings are incredibly painful (PS. we’re still looking for a good solution to that, so if you know of any tips for preggo traveling, send them my way!).
Last week, we received the exciting news that the hubs would finally be staffed locally. Both of us. At home. On a weekday! Crazy.
But then the reality sets in. Two people who each eat 1800-2500 calories a day, eating at home for two meals every day. Eggs have become a dietary staple around here, both for their high protein and vitamin levels. And in our house, it’s nothing but Eggland’s Best. Compared to ordinary eggs, Eggland’s Best Eggs have 10x more vitamin E, 6x more vitamin D, 3x more vitamin B12, more than double the omega-3s… and the list goes on. For this preggo on the search for superior nutrition for our growing family, these eggs check all the boxes.
Mornings are still a scurry though. To make breakfast easier, we’ve swapped our usual egg-and-cheese-sandwiches for healthy, make-ahead southwest breakfast burritos. Cottage cheese + Eggland’s Best Eggs increases the protein content of these burritos while keeping the filling super fluffy, even after being frozen. Black beans and peppers add an extra punch of flavor, while the cheese gives me all of that melty goodness I crave on a crisp fall morning. I seriously can’t get enough!
- 1/4 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 bag frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 can of black beans, drained
- 8 Eggland's Best Large eggs
- 1/2c low curd cottage cheese
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 oz part skim shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 12" round flour tortillas
- Finely dice the bell pepper, green onion stems, and jalapeños.
- Spray medium skillet with cooking spray. Saute diced vegetables over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach and black beans. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Set aside and clean skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Eggland's Best eggs and cottage cheese.
- Heat cooking spray in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour egg/cottage cheese mixture into the skillet. Let cook without stirring for 1-2 minutes, until the bottom of the eggs begin to firm.
- Stir periodically and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes, until scrambled eggs are set.
- Remove from heat. Mix in veggie/bean mixture.
- Add seasoning. Mix gently.
- Spoon mixture evenly into each tortilla. Add 2T cheese to each tortilla.
- Fold in sides of tortilla and roll to form burritos.
- Wrap each burrito in foil, and place wrapped burritos in freezer safe gallon bag. Store in the freezer until ready to eat.
- TO REHEAT: Place burrito(s) in the fridge overnight to thaw. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350. Wrap the burrito in foil and place on cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until hot.